Not always poetry, not always good, not always there.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Cream-Colored Cat

A new piece with not much explanation. The photo is of my cat Buu (who lives with my parents). She's not the cat in question.


The Cream-Colored Cat

The cream-colored cat resides with me
Like the asterisk at the end of the sentence that defines me
Appearing from the shadowed corner of an empty room
Staring at me with lily eyes
I ask her the questions I’m too scared to ask myself
When will my soul return?
Will I sleep tonight with this hole in my chest?
She abides my derangement
Silently nagging me with her piceous cry
Telling me I am weak
Worthy of nothing more than the subtle mockery
Only she can convey
She ties the cord around my neck while I sleep
So that the screams from my nightmares don’t disturb
Her midnight prowls
And if, when I awake, I’m still alone
I know I’ll see her there
Defying my existence

—Adrienne McKay 2010


2 comments:

  1. And that is why I'm a dog person :D

    Beautiful Poem!! It's good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete