Not always poetry, not always good, not always there.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Old Thoughts New

Try to imagine this with a steady, melancholic melody to it. It might help to listen to Black Star by Radiohead beforehand, as that's what I was listening to just before I wrote this. Without the tune, it'll probably just seem goofy/rhymy.




Old Thoughts New


I'm too afraid of death to keep on living
And I'm too afraid of life to tell the truth
I'm too afraid of lies to try forgiving
And I'm too afraid of age to keep my youth


Already I'm too old for this
And too young to feel like that
It's too bright in this abyss
And too dark to shine a light at


It hurts too much to see you
But I'm praying for the pain
And all these thoughts feel brand new
But they're only just the same


—Adrienne McKay 2010

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is really good. Would say more, but it seems like the kind of poem that stands best on its own.

    Anyway, how have you been doing lately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohai. Thanks. I've been alright, more or less. Sorry for sort of disappearing off the face of the interwebs lately. Been a bit occupied, in a neurotic way. How have you been?

    ReplyDelete